At St. Stephen’s, we emphasize social justice, contemplative spirituality, and the arts. We are so pleased that our three adult formation offerings this Autumn speak to these three emphases. Until Franklin County returns to a moderate or low level of Covid spread, these offerings will be online-only. You can join in on Thursday evenings from 7:00 – 8:00 by clicking this link.
September: A Christian Guide to Environmental Issues
An Adult Formation class led by Elliott Bush, based around Margot and Martin Hodson’s A Christian Guide to Environmental Issues. Click here learn more.
- September 2 – Discovering God’s Earth
- September 9 – Biodiversity
- September 16 – Climate Change
- September 23 – Water
- September 30 – Human population & consumption
October: Experiments in Prayer & Meditation
An Adult Formation class led by Patricia Rose. In this series, we’ll delve into the riches of prayer experientially by experimenting with a different form of contemplative prayer each week. Click here to learn more.
- October 7: Stillness
- October 14: Healing, using a form of Lectio Divina (divine reading) with the gospels
- October 21: Rest and Sabbath
November: Four Poets
An Adult Formation class led by Stuart Hobbs. We will focus on four poets, learning about their lives and reading their poetry together. Click here to learn more.
- October 28: The Buddhist in the Garden: Nature and Spirit in the Poetry of W. S. Merwin
- November 4: Walking the Dog with Jane Kenyon: (Extra)Ordinary Insight in the Poetry of Jane Kenyon
- November 11: The Pity of War: The Poetry of Wilfred Owen and the Music of Benjamin Britten’s War Requiem
- November 18: The Mountain, the Heron, and Julian: Panentheism in the Poetry of Denise Levertov
Stay tuned for the Advent Film Festival, beginning in December!